The laptops are impressive, with thin and light designs for portability. However, the laptop alone may not be ideal for multitasking or other production assignments. That said, you'll need to connect your laptop, in our case a Dell laptop, to an external monitor.
Dell laptops allow you to connect it to other monitors. You can follow several easy steps to connect your Dell laptop to yourcomputer screen🇧🇷 One way is through the graphics card adapter port on the motherboard.
To connect your Dell laptop to an external monitor, you must first identify the connectivity ports your Dell laptop has. You should also check the supported ports on the monitor to choose the appropriate one.cable for your connection🇧🇷 A successful link will allow you to use both screens or the monitor screen as a desktop PC.
Read on to learn about due process.
How to Connect a Dell Laptop to the Monitor Instantly
The process of connecting a Dell laptop to an external monitor is given below.
Confirm that your Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) supports external monitors.
Visit the Dell website to confirm GPU specifications for your Dell laptop.(Video) DELL Work From Home Laptop Dual Screen Setup
VisitDell Drivers and Downloads pageand download the graphics drivers. You should select the latest versions for the best video quality. The website automatically detects your laptop model.
Select your laptop model. This process allows you to acquire the latest drivers.
Check for supported ports on your monitor. Dell laptops support VGA, DVI,HDMI, DisplayPort and S-Video output ports.
Inspect the monitor to identify supported ports.
Find a match and select your cable.
Connect one end of the cable to the Dell laptop and the other end to the computer's monitor.
Use a USB-C to HDMI adapter if you are connecting your laptop to your monitor using acabo USB-C.
Connect the power cord to your laptop, plug it into a power source and turn it on. Do the same with the monitor.
Turn on the laptop and monitor.
Press keyboard shortcut Fn+8 to switch between laptop screen and monitor.
Press Fn+8 key combination twice to use both screens as display interfaces.
Press the Fn+8 shortcut for the third time; use your Dell monitor as the primary display unit.(Video) How to Connect a Wireless Monitor DELL (Official Dell Tech Support)
Customize your screen calibrations by following the steps listed below.
Open the settings bar on your Windows 10 laptop.
Select the System tab.
Click the Display icon to customize individual display settings for monitors.
Can you use both screens at the same time?
Yes, after connecting your Dell laptop to the monitor, you can use both screens as display interfaces or use just the monitor.
How to use both screens
Use the process below to use both screens as display interfaces.
- Start Windows Setup. Click on the gear icon in the Start menu or press Windows + I keyboard shortcut.
- Choose System Preferences.
- Proceed to select View option in left pane (Windows 10)
- Press the Multiple Displays drop-down menu. From the options listed, select one of the following options.
- Duplicate these screens: This option allows both screens to display the same content.
- Extend These Displays – This option will allow you to use the monitor as part of your laptop screen. You can drag files between the two screens.
- Show on 1 only – This option allows you to use the laptop screen only. The monitor turns off.
- Show only on 2: Selecting this option allows the monitor to display the content. Laptop screen turns off.
- Select the Identify tab to display the monitor numbering order.
- Choose your home screen. In our case, select the Dell laptop.
- Go to Multiple Displays and click the Make This My Home Screen tab.
- Skip the primary monitor identification step if you are mirroring the display.
- Drag the rectangle on each monitor to match the setting on your desktop.
- Press the Apply tab.
How to use the monitor alone
You can use your monitor as the main screen in your setup by following the guidelines listed below.
- Connect an external keyboard and mouse to your Dell laptop.
- Connect a power cord to your laptop and plug it into a power source. Turn on the power source. This setting prevents the laptop from shutting down.
- Navigate to the Windows Control Panel. Perform this function by typing in the control panel in the search bar.
- Select the Power Options tab.
- In the left panel of the interface, select the "Choose what makes the lid close" tab.
- In the "When I close the lid" menu that appears, click on the "Connected" section.
- From the list of options, select the Do nothing option. This command will not allow the laptop to shut down when you close the lid.
Can I connect my Dell laptop to an external monitor?
Yes, you can connect a Dell laptop to an external monitor. Your Dell laptop motherboard has an integrated graphics adapter port that allows for this connection. The integrated graphics adapter port extends your laptop's screen display to an external monitor.
Most Dell laptops have multiple video ports for connectivity. You must identify a compatible port on the laptop and monitor the connection. The guidelines listed below illustrate how to identify the different video ports on your Dell laptop.
- DisplayPort. This video port looks like an HDMI port, but has a 90-degree corner and a bent corner.
- HDMI. This video port has sides and resembles a trapeze.
- VGA. This video port has 15 holes and two pins on the back of the connector.
- USB-C. This video port has an oval shape. However, not everyoneUSB-CThe ports are compatible with external monitors. If the USB-C video port on your Dell laptop has a Thunderbolt with an arrow symbol at the bottom, it is Thunderbolt 3 compatible. However, if the USB-C port has a white 'P' symbol, this port it is compatible with Mini DisplayPort. Therefore, you can connect an external monitor.
DisplayPort should be your first choice for connecting your laptop to an external monitor. Thevgaand S-Video are the least favorite when it comes to connecting the laptop to an external monitor.
The Dell laptop will connect to anyexternal monitorprovided both have identical compatible video ports. However, if you don't have a compatible cable, you can use a suitable adapter for the connection.
How do I connect my Dell laptop to a monitor via HDMI?
To connect your Dell laptop to an external monitor, follow the steps below.
- Connect one end of the HDMI cable to your Dell laptop. Connect the other end of the cable to the external monitor.
- Connect a power cord to the laptop. Do the same for the external monitor.
- Plug the power cord into a power source and turn it on.
- Turn on your laptop and external monitor.
- Select the video source you have connected to your monitor.
- Press keyboard shortcut Fn+8 to switch between laptop screen and monitor.
- Press Fn+8 key combination twice to use both screens as display interfaces.
- Press the Fn+8 shortcut for the third time; use your Dell monitor as the only display unit.
What cable do I need to connect a Dell laptop to the monitor?
you will need oneDVI cable, DisplayPort cable, VGA cable, HDMI cable or USB-C cable for your Dell laptop monitor connection. All these cables are compatible with Dell laptops.
Choosing which one to use will depend on which one you have.
Although,DisplayPortIt is a favorite among cables due to its high bandwidth range (80 Gbps), high screen resolution (8K and 10K) and high refresh rate of up to 240 Hertz.
These features mean that the DisplayPort connection will have a fast data transfer rate. The video screen will also be of high quality.
VGA is the least favorite cable option for this connection. The main reason is that it is limited to transmitting analogue signals. It also only transmits video signals, which means you won't be able to use the second monitor with the laptop closed. It also has a slow data transfer rate, which makes it less efficient.
What's the best way to connect a Dell laptop to a monitor?
The best way to connect your Dell laptop to an external monitor is to useCabos DisplayPort🇧🇷 This cable ensures fast and quality video transmission to the external monitor.
Use the following procedure to connect your Dell monitor to an external monitor using DisplayPort.
- Connect the power cables to your Dell laptop and monitor and plug them into the power supply.
- Turn on the power source.
- Use DisplayPort cable to connect between laptop and monitor.
- Turn on the laptop. Do the same with the monitor.
- Select the video source you have connected to your monitor.
- Switch between the two monitors by pressing the Fn+8 keyboard shortcut to use the monitor as the only monitor. Press the Fn+8 key combination twice to use both screens. You need to press the Fn+8 shortcut a third time to use your Dell monitor as your main screen.
Do I need a Dell monitor to connect my Dell laptop?
No, you do not need a Dell monitor to connect to your Dell laptop. Connect to any monitor with a compatible graphics card, such as Dell laptops. The integrated graphics adapter port on your Dell laptop motherboard makes it possible to connect any external monitor.